Dr Emma Cayley, Head of Modern Languages
Click here to find out what postgraduate funding is available within the College of Humanities and how you can apply for it.
- Top 10 for European Languages in The Sunday Times University Guide 2013
- In top 200 worldwide rankings for subject (QS World University Rankings 2012-3)
- Over £2 million external research funding awarded over the past 4 years
- 9th in the UK for world leading research in French1
- 85% of research in German classified as of international quality (RAE 2008)
- 16 fully funded doctoral studentships over the last 3 years
- Ranked in the top 5 amongst Russell Group universities for Overall Satisfaction for French, German, Iberian and Italian in the National Student Survey (2012)2
- MA Translation taught by published literary translators, experienced practitioners and specialists in the use of computer-added translation tools
Message from the Head of Modern Languages, Dr Emma Cayley
Modern Languages at Exeter consistently ranks among the top UK institutions in league tables for student satisfaction, teaching and research. We enjoy an international reputation for excellence in our research and teaching across five languages: French, German, Hispanic Studies, Italian, and Russian. Students on our MA in Translation are also able to study using Mandarin Chinese.
Our MA in Translation is a successful and growing programme; providing excellent language teaching is therefore a key element in preparing our students to undertake further study and become professional linguists.
Our research, and research supervision, ranges across a wide variety of disciplines including European Literature and Culture, Film, Linguistics, Medieval Studies, Gender Studies, and Translation, and reaches across time from the medieval to the contemporary. As well as covering the cultures of major European nations, we have substantial expertise in those postcolonial nations where our five core languages are spoken, particularly Latin America and Francophone Africa. Our research-active academic staff, supported by a team of language teachers which includes native-speaker teachers, are highly successful in winning prestigious research awards from funding bodies including the AHRC, Leverhulme and British Academy.
We are a large yet very friendly department with over thirty research-active members of staff, including Associate Research Fellows.
Dr Emma Cayley
Head of Modern Languages
1 RAE 2008 based on the percentage of research categorised as 4*
2 based on the average percentage of positive responses across all survey categories for full service universities