Italian Language, Written and Oral (MLI2001)
|Staff||Mrs Alice Farris - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||MLI1001 'Italian Language' (or equivalent)|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
This module aims to consolidate the skills acquired during the previous year, and to improve and extend your command of modern Italian, written and spoken. Emphasis will be on the consolidation and expansion of the Italian
language through grammar, reading comprehension, translation into Italian and composition.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Apply a broad range of grammatical features of Italian to a variety of linguistic tasks
- 2. Translate passages from a variety of authentic written sources from English into Italian.
- 3. Deal competently with intermediate comprehension passages
- 4. Write compositions in Italian.
- 5. Give a short oral presentation in Italian on a defined topic to a small group of listeners and to engage in discussion and debate on the topic presented.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 6. Understand styles and registers of written and spoken Italian.
- 7. Understand and use in class discussion a broad range of linguistic terms, to identify and develop strategies to improve linguistic accuracy.
- 8. Use a bilingual or Learners' monolingual dictionary to glean information about meaning, usage and register.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 9. Communicate competently in a foreign language.
- 10. Express and discuss views in front of a group of listeners.
The syllabus plan will follow the textbook and be supplemented by additional from other sources.
- Ritratti (Unità 2 )
- Lezione 1: Ritratto di un uomo banale p.46-47, ripasso tempi verbali del passato (focus sul passato remoto)
- Compiti per Lezione 2: Lettura testo La provincia italiana p.49
- Lezione 2: Ritratto della provincia italiana: lavoro sul testo, a coppie es 5b; es 5d sulle metafore. Discussione: es 5c: confronto con l'Inghilterra.
- Compiti per Lezione 1 week 5: Ascolto intervista traccia 10 (disponibile su ELE)
- Orale: Lavoro su articolo preparato a casa
- Compiti per Orale week 5 : in coppie preparate una presentazione su un dialetto o una lingua diversa dall'inglese che conoscete o vi piacerebbe parlare
- Grammar: Passato remoto vs passato prossimo vs imperfetto
- Attività extra: articolo su Zanardi alle Olimpiadi di Rio: http://www.repubblica.it/sport/2016/09/07/news/paralimpiadi_alex_zanardi-147308178/ ; es.9 p.7 (eserciziario in fondo al libro) sui tempi verbali del passato.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching||44||Language classes|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching||22||Oral classes|
|Guided Independent Study||234||Private study|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|6 formative tasks covering some or all of the following areas: grammar, writing, listening, reading, speaking, translation.||Variable||1-4, 6-8||Written and oral|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Portfolio||50||As described on the ELE page||1-4, 6,7,9||Written and oral|
|Oral Exam||25||15 minutes||5, 9, 10||Written and oral|
|Written Exam||25||1 hour||1-4, 6,7,9||Written and oral|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Portfolio||Portfolio||1-4, 6,7,9||Referral/Deferral period|
|Oral Exam||Oral Exam||5, 9, 10||Referral/Deferral period|
|Written Exam||Written Exam||1-4, 6,7,9||Referral/Deferral period|
Deferral – if you miss an assessment for certificated reasons judged acceptable by the Mitigation Committee, you will normally be either deferred in the assessment or an extension may be granted. The mark given for a re-assessment taken as a result of deferral will not be capped and will be treated as it would be if it were your first attempt at the assessment.
Referral – if you have failed the module overall (i.e. a final overall module mark of less than 40%) you will be required to submit a further assessment as necessary. The mark given for a re-assessment taken as a result of referral will be capped at 40%.
You will only be required to retake any failed assessments. Marks for any passed assessments will be carried forward. If you have failed any assessments but managed to pass the module overall, you will not be allowed to retake the failed assessments.
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
- Nuovo Contatto C1(class book ) Loescher Editore, ISBN 9788858303122
- Da Capo, Lazzarino and Monneti (Heinle, 2006)
- J Colaneri, V Luciani, 501 Italian Verbs (2nd edition) (Barron's)
- Collins Sansoni Italian Dictionary, ed. V. Macchi (Collins); Oxford-Paravia Italian Dictionary (Oxford UP);
- Dizionario della lingua italiana, ed. G.Cusatelli (Garzanti)
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
- ELE: https://vle.exeter.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=11053
- Foreign Language Centre; materials recommended in library
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search