Classics and Ancient History is proud to have been awarded a Bronze Award on the Gender Equality Charter Mark (GEM) trial run conducted by the Equality Challenge Unit. Read more about the GEM award.
The Department of Classics and Ancient History at Exeter is one of the largest and most successful in the UK, with an excellent reputation in both teaching and research. We attract high quality students from the UK and around the world who enjoy a lively and productive learning environment.
- Ranked top 10 in all major UK university league tables for the subject
- Undergraduate degrees in Ancient History, Classical Studies or Classics and a modular Masters degree
- A wide chronological, geographical and methodological variety in academic expertise
- Innovative approaches to teaching the ancient world
High quality research
- 6th in the UK for research power in Classics1
- research is integral to all our activity. All members of staff are research active and strive to research and publish at the highest level
- Interdisciplinary perspective, with close links to related fields including history, archaeology, philosophy, visual arts, and linguistics
- Leading centre of expertise in Hellenistic culture, including a £1.25 million Leverhulme Trust-funded Centre for Hellenistic and Greco-Roman Culture
- Major international conferences held annually
1 Times Higher Education research power ranking based on Research Excellence Framework 2014
We are a vibrant, friendly and supportive Department with enthusiastic and committed academic staff and students.
We offer world-class learning opportunities inspired by our academics’ internationally acclaimed research. This is reflected in our excellent results year on year in the National Student Survey and the government’s research evaluations (REF).
We are ranked in the top 5 amongst UK Classics departments in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 and The Complete University Guide 2020, and in the top 5 for the employability of our graduates.
Professor Barbara Borg, Head of Classics and Ancient History