Professor Francesca Stavrakopoulou
Contribution to discipline
- £45,572, Leverhulme Trust Research Fellowship, 2016-17
- £45,560, AHRC Early Career Fellowship, 2011.
- £7,110, British Academy, 2007-2009.
- "Uses of the Bible in Environmental Ethics", with David Horrell. £196,333 + c. £45,000 PhD studentship, AHRC, 2006-2009.
- Biblical Refigurations series, OUP
- Biblical Interpretation journal, Brill (2010-13)
- Library of Hebrew Bible/OT Studies series, Bloomsbury
- Hebrew Bible in Social Perspective series, Bloomsbury
Academic society positions
- Secretary of the Society for Old Testament Study, 2010-12
- Three-part BBC documentary series about the Bible and archaeology, called Bible's Buried Secrets, broadcast in the UK on BBC 2 in March 2011
- 'Talking head' contributions to various television documentaries. Regular appearances on BBC1's debate shows The Big Questions and Sunday Morning Live
- Discussion of biblical scholarship on several radio programmes
Informing international policy
- Publication on corpse abuse cited at the Supreme Court of the United States in a case about the picketing of the funerals of US soldiers by members of the fundamentalist Westboro Baptist Church
- Student Guild award for Research-inspired Teaching 2013
Bible's Buried Secrets (BBC2, 2011). Presenter of this prime-time, three-part documentary series.
Television debate programmes
Searching for Exile - The Debate (BBC4, 2013)
The Big Questions (BBC1). Regular appearances on this Sunday morning programme.
Sunday Morning Live (BBC1). Regular appearances on this Sunday morning programme.
BBC Points of View (BBC1, 2011).
Television 'talking head' contributions
The Weekly with Charlie Pickering, studio interview on an Australian prime-time TV news/chat show (ABC, 2016)
The Real Star of Bethlehem: Sky at Night Christmas Special (BBC4, 2015)
Secrets of the Bible (ZDF, Germany/IMG worldwide, 2014).
Bible Secrets Revealed (History Channel, US, 2013).
The Bible: A History (Channel 4, 2010).
‘God’: a short film for the BBC’s Story of Now interactive documentary series (2015)
‘Are we wired to believe in a higher power?’: Two short films for the BBC iWonder Guide (http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z3b6hyc)
‘The Real Garden of Eden’: interactive web material and film for the BBC iWonder Guide
The Hollow Earth – A Travel Guide: Contributor to this documentary presented by Robin Ince (BBC Radio 4, 2015)
The Infinite Monkey Cage: Christmas Special (BBC Radio 4, 2014)
Beyond Belief: Panellist on this discussion programme, debating the impact of archaeology on religion and faith (BBC Radio 4, 2014).
BBC Radio 5 Live Breakfast Show: Hosting a debate with teenagers from a selection of faith schools in Manchester, and reporting back to the show live throughout the morning (2013)
Museum of Curiosity (BBC Radio 4, 2011).
Woman’s Hour (BBC Radio 4. 2011).
Nightwaves (BBC Radio 3, 2011): Panel discussion of TV series Bible’s Buried Secrets.
Guardian (26 October 2014): ‘Female Academics: Don’t power dress, forget heels – and no flowing hair allowed’
Mail on Sunday (6 March 2011): ‘Why the BBC’s new face of religion believes God had a wife’