Dr Fiona Handyside
Conference Papers Given (since 2001)
- ‘Catherine Deneuve: the star as fashion icon'
July 2003, University of Stockholm, Sweden, Popular European Cinema 4: Stars and Methods
- ‘"The Great American Tourist": The Tourist Gaze in Hollywood Musicals'
September 2003, NUI: Cork, Ireland, Musicals: An International Conference
- ‘Girls on Film: Mothers, Daughters and Sisters in Contemporary French Film'
March 2004, University of Durham, Affaires de famille: Family in French Culture and Thought
- ‘Flow, not form: Melodrama in François Ozon's Gouttes d'eau sur pierres brûlantes (2000)'
March 2005, Institut Français, London, Studies in French Cinema Annual Conference
- ‘Sex and setting: The Beach in Catherine Breillat's A ma soeur' [part of panel on Sex and Setting]
June 2005, Queen Mary, University of London, Space and Place: Design and Setting in the Cinema International Conference
- ‘Water Drops Far From Heaven: The Contemporary Melodrama in America and in France'
July 2005, University of Leeds, European Cinema Research Forum Annual Conference
- ‘Adaptation in the films of François Ozon' [part of panel on adaptation]
July 2006, University of Wales, Swansea, European Cinema Research Forum Annual Conference
- ‘The Beach in Female Authored Films'
October 2006, Institute of Germanic and Romance Studies, University of London, Space, Place and Landscape: Women and Environments in Contemporary French Culture
- ‘Melodrama for the New Generation: The Role of Melodrama in Contemporary French Cinema'
July 2007, University of Glasgow, Screen Annual Conference
- ‘The Margins don't have to be Marginal: Re-thinking Alterity in the Films of Eric Rohmer'
September 2007, University of Exeter, Alienation and Alterity: Otherness in Modern and Contemporary Francophone Contexts