The Age of AEthelred 'the Unready': Context (HIH3118)
|Staff||Dr Levi Roach - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||At least 90 credits of History at Level 1 and/or Level 2.|
|Co-requisites||The Age of Æthelred ‘the Unready’: Sources|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
This module is designed to introduce students to social and political developments in England and western Europe in the reign of King Æthelred ‘the Unready’ (978–1016). The first half of the module will be dedicated to Æthelred’s reign in England, seeking to illustrate how this most maligned of English monarchs sought to navigate the vicissitudes of his age. Key themes will include the growth of governmental structures, the impact of monastic reform, and responses to the ongoing viking attacks. The second half will place these developments within a wider context. Consideration will be given to developments in England before and after Æthelred’s reign, as well as to his continental counterparts. Themes will include ideals and practices kingship, the establishment of new dynasties, monastic reform and the cult of saints.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Evaluate the different complex themes in the Age of Æthelred.
- 2. Make close specialist evaluation of the key developments within the period, developed through independent study and seminar work.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 3. Analyse the key developments within England and western Europe during the reign of King Æthelred.
- 4. Focus on and comprehend complex issues.
- 5. Understand and deploy relevant historical terminology in a comprehensible manner.
- 6. Follow social and political developments across the period.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 7. Do independent and autonomous study and group work, including presentation of material for group discussion, developed through the mode of learning.
- 8. Digest, select and organise material to produce, to a deadline, a coherent and cogent argument, developed through the mode of assessment.
- 9. Present complex arguments orally.
- England before Æthelred: From Alfred the Great to Edward the Martyr
- Æthelred: A Mad, Bad and Dangerous King?
- Æthelred’s Legacy: A Kingdom Lost and Won
- Æthelred’s Continental Counterparts: Contact, Comparison, Contrast
- Themes in the ‘Age of Æthelred’
The introductory session will offer an overview for students who may have little background in the subject. The co-requisite module will provide close focus on the historical sources available for detailed analysis of Æthelred’s reign.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities.||44||22 x 2 hour seminars.|
|Guided independent study.||256||Reading and preparing for seminars, coursework and presentations.|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Seminar discussion||Ongoing through course||1-7, 9||Verbal from tutor and other students.|
|Worse of two essay marks||3000 words||1-6, 8-9||Verbal and written|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Better of two essay marks||33||3000 words||1-8||Verbal and written|
|Unseen exam||67||2 questions in 2 hours||1-8||Verbal and written|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Better of two essays||Better of two essays||1-8||Referral/deferral period|
|Unseen exam||Unseen exam||1-8||Referral/deferral period|
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
S. Keynes, The Diplomas of King Æthelred ‘the Unready’, 978–1016: A Study in their Use as Historical Evidence (Cambridge, 1980)
S. Keynes, ‘A Tale of Two Kings: Alfred the Great and Æthelred the Unready’, Transactions of the Royal Historical Society,5th ser. 36 (1986), 195–217
D. Hill, ed., Ethelred the Unread: Papers from the Millenary Conference, BAR: British Series 59 (London, 1978)
P. Stafford, Unification and Conquest: A Political and Social History of England in the Tenth and Eleventh Centuries (London, 1989)
M. Townend, ed., Wulfstan, Archbishop of York (Turnhout, 2004)
T. Reuter, ed., The New Cambridge Medieval History, III, c. 900–1024 (Cambridge, 2000)
A. Williams, Æthelred the Unready: The Ill-Counselled King (London, 2003)
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
‘Kemble’ Website: http://www.kemble.asnc.cam.ac.uk/
Prosopography of Anglo-Saxon England: http://www.pase.ac.uk/
Available as distance learning?