Art History and Visual Culture Field Study (AHV2005)
|Staff||Professor Fabrizio Nevola - Convenor|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks;|
The field trip has three main aims:
1) To gain an understanding of how art history and visual culture function in location-specific contexts, through lecturer-led visits, and student-focused presentations.
2) To provide you with an opportunity to apply the knowledge gained through lecture-based modules to 'real-world' study in an intensive and continuous way.
3) To provide further in-depth training that will contribute to your independent research dissertations building on skills developed in stage one.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate an understanding of the history of art, visual culture and museum culture of a European city.
- 2. Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of urban/cultural identity.
- 3. Demonstrate familiarity with the history of various forms of cultural expression in the context of a European city: art and architecture, urban design, tourism, museum studies.
- 4. Identify/formulate and evaluate questions or problems with limited guidance.
- 5. Discuss specific case studies and examples relevant to specific themes relating to the fieldclass (e.g. museum studies, issues of patronage, context, visual media and representation)
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 6. Identify a diverse range of approaches to the generation of knowledge and understanding.
- 7. Explain the significance of spatial relationships of architecture, sculpture and art in the built environment.
- 8. Conduct your own research and prepare a good argument both in verbal discussion and in written assignments.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 9. Communicate ideas, principles and theories effectively and fluently by written, oral and visual means.
- 10. Explore available resources to find useful texts and materials.
- 11. Undertake independent/self-directed study/learning (including time management) to achieve consistent, proficient and sustained attainment,
- 12. Gain a competence in presenting and speaking in a public place about works of art and/or visual culture.
Details of specific locations, activities, and content of the fieldtrip will be issued during the previous term.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities before and after the field study trip||18||Workshops and lectures|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities during field study trip||16||lectures during field-class|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities during field study trip||6||Field activities and group-work during field-class|
|Scheduled self-directed learning and research during field study trip||8||Workshop on return|
|Guided independent study||252||Private study|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Group work topic document||500 words||1-10||Collective, verbal|
|Mini-essay||750 words||1-10||Individual, written|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Individual field diary||40||1000 words + field diary||1-10||Written|
|Essay||40||2500 word essay||1-10||Written|
|Group project presentation||20||20 minutes||1-10||Oral and written|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Individual field diary||2000 words||1-10||Referral/deferral period|
|Summary of Presentation contribution||1000 words||1-10||Referral/deferral period|
|Essay||2500 words||1-10||Referral/deferral period|
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
ELE page - http://vle.exeter.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=4644
Reading lists appropriate to each fieldtrip will be issued during the previous term through ELE.
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search
Art History, Visual Culture