Professor Henry French
Head of History
History at the University of Exeter
The Department of History is a positive and dynamic arena for research and teaching in History. Part of the College of Humanities, we carry out research and teaching at the University’s Streatham and Cornwall campuses. We have expertise in political, economic, social, cultural, religious, medical, environmental, maritime, naval, military and diplomatic history and range in time from the early medieval period to the late 20th century. We have particular strengths in the history of Britain and continental Europe, but also focus on the history of the United States, Latin America, India and Africa.
- We offer high quality, modern and innovative programmes drawing on research-led teaching
- Our extensive expertise across a wide range of time periods, themes and geographical areas provides students with considerable choice and flexibility
- Our degree programmes focus strongly on the development of transferable skills and our History graduates are rightly sought after by employers.
- Undergraduate students have the opportunity to study abroad and those in Cornwall can undertake public history work experience in museums and heritage organisations
- We encourage part-time students and offer online module materials to support flexible learning patterns
High quality research
- Our research is integral to all our activity. All members of staff are research active and strive to research and publish at the highest level.
- In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, 95% of our research was rated as of international quality with 20% being classified as ‘world leading’
- Our research community is greatly enhanced by research centres focusing on specific aspects of History and interdisciplinary study.
- We have considerable success in raising research income from bodies such as the AHRC, ESRC, and Wellcome Trust, and currently generate around £500,000 each year.
- Particularly at our Cornwall Campus, we have been proactive in developing Knowledge Transfer and collaborative partnerships with museums, galleries and other organisations and in disseminating the fruits of our research beyond the academic world.
- We supervise postgraduate research in a wide range of areas, reflecting the growing breadth of expertise of our staff
- Our support for postgraduate research students includes a number of studentships each year and help in securing external funding.