This could be your 'With proficiency in...' degree certificate.
More and more employers are looking for graduates in all fields who have additional language skills* and the Foreign Language Centre can help you with this. We realise that as a future global citizen, you will travel, live and work in countries across the world and that’s why we can help you get the language you study with us named on your degree title, ‘with proficiency in…’
This involves successfully completing a minimum of 60 credits in one language taken through the Foreign Language Centre, of which 30 credits must be at Level 2 (FLC Intermediate 1) or higher. You could choose to start a new language from scratch or develop an existing one.
For example, a Geography student who passes 30 credits at Spanish Beginners and a further 30 credits at Spanish Intermediate 1 could have their degree title amended to BA (Hons) Geography with proficiency in Spanish .
To request 'with proficiency in', please contact the Foreign Language Centre by no later than 1 June of your final year of study, email@example.com
* "Language skills are becoming increasingly valued in the business world, with 74 per cent of UK employers specifying that they are looking for conversational language skills when they recruit new staff." CILT, The National Centre for Languages, 29/10/09
What Students say:
- "Learning a language with the FLC has been one of the best decisions I have made. Teaching has been excellent and I've thoroughly enjoyed all three years."
- "I loved my development - my confidence has improved so much. I'd just like to go and try it out now."
- "I like the intimacy of the lessons and the interaction with the staff that differs greatly from large lectures."
- "I have very much enjoyed going to classes. It was the highlight of my week."
- "This is the module that I personally find the most practical and interesting because what I take away with me, I will keep for life and will hopefully further my career prospects."