Spanish Advanced Two (FLS3515)
|Staff||Dr Fran Alvarez Lopez - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||Completion of FLS3415/3430 or equivalent|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
Module aimsThe module is appropriate for students who have an A-level (Grade A-C) in the foreign language or equivalent, plus one year of study on an Advanced course. This module is between C1 - C2 Proficient User of the Common European Framework for languages, and aims to:
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate competence in the use of a wide range of advanced grammatical structures of the target language.
- 2. Read and comprehend a wide range of demanding, longer written texts in most registers, on both concrete and abstract topics in the target language, including articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems in which the writers adopt particular attitudes and viewpoints.
- 3. Communicate fluently and spontaneously, both orally or in writing, on complex and abstract topics, use language flexibly and spontaneously for social and professional purposes and produce coherent, cohesive and near-accurate texts in a range of appropriate styles and genres.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Demonstrate advanced levels of autonomy in language learning, with minimal direction from the teacher.
- 5. Combine specialised learning aids in a variety of media to class notes and material, including an advanced reference grammar and specialist dictionary, to consolidate his/her learning.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Work pro-actively with others as part of a team, react and adapt to some unexpected situations as appropriate and solve problem effectively.
- 7. Apply self-study skills and demonstrate sensitivity to the foreign culture.
- 8. Defend ones view point in a debate and question, evaluate or criticise other viewpoints in interaction.
The module provides a systematic approach to acquiring essential grammar structures in a communicative context and in accordance with the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. It covers the following grammar / topics:
At this level, students are expected to demonstrate competence in the use of all advanced grammatical structures. However, there may be remedial revision / consolidation of the following grammar during the module:
Teaching methods are based on interactive language development tasks, such as pair / group work and include the study of longer and complex texts, oral development work and listening comprehension exercises.
You will be expected to spend time studying outside the class (between 3-5 hours per week) and we provide guidance, facilities and materials to help you develop your expertise as an independent and advanced language learner.
For this module, you will be asked to consolidate your class work by learning advanced vocabulary and structures, and by reading, watching or listening to material in Spanish. You will also be expected to complete the exercise on a self-study basis, prepare exercises and activities for the class, write longer assignments and generally acquire a repertoire of advanced and effective language learning strategies.
You will receive regular feedback on your progress from class activities, homework assignments and formative assessment tasks. You will also receive formal feedback on summative assessments such as In-Class Test, including suggestions on how to improve and identify your own strategies for improvement.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||44||Language classes|
|Guided independent study||106||Perparation and self study|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|3 formative tasks covering grammar and vocabulary, writing and reading||Variable||1-8||Written and oral|
|1 in-class formative task in week 12||1.5 hours||1.7||Written and oral|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Oral test||40||12-15 minutes||1, 3-7||Written and oral|
|Written Exam||60||2 hours||1-7||Written and oral|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Written Exam||Written Exam||1-7||Ref/Def period|
|Oral Exam||Oral Exam||1, 3-7||Ref/Def period|
Oral Test = 40%, Written Examination = 60%
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Ana Hermoso and Alicia López, Nuevo Prisma B2. Libro del alumno + CD (Edinumen, 2016). ISBN: 9788498486414.
Ana Hermoso and Alicia López, Nuevo Prisma B2. Libro de ejercicios + CD (Edinumen, 2016). ISBN: 9788498486438.
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
February 2018 by José C. Tenreiro Prego
Key words search