Spanish Intermediate One (FLS2215)
|Staff|| - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||Completion of FLS1130 or equivalent|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 12 weeks; Term 2: 12 weeks;|
Module aimsThe module is appropriate for students who either already have or may quickly regain a level of proficiency in Spanish broadly equivalent to that of GCSE Grade A-B (or equivalent). This module is between A2 Basic User and B1 Independent User of the Common European Framework and aims to:
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate competence in the use of basic grammatical structures of the target language
- 2. Read and comprehend straightforward written texts on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, study, leisure etc in the target language
- 3. Communicate effectively on a limited range of general topics which are familiar or of personal interest, both orally and in writing, and produce short descriptive and narrative texts, formal and informal letters.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Understand the principles of learning a foreign language intensively and organise his/her learning with guidance from the tutor
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, such as a reference grammar and bilingual dictionary, to consolidate his/her learning.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Make a brief presentation on a topic which is familiar or of personal interest and hold a short conversation in the target language which may involve expressing opinions and making value judgements
- 7. Work productively with others as part of a team, within a set structure
- 8. Make progress through developing skills of self-study and application and develop an awareness of and sensitivity to a foreign culture.
The module provides a systematic approach to acquiring essential grammar structures in a communicative context and in accordance with the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. It covers the following grammar / topics: Main Grammar Verbs: revision of present tense, uses of past tenses: imperfect, preterite, perfect & pluperfect, impersonal verbs - gustar, encantar etc, soler + infinitive, imperative, future tense, introduction to the present subjunctive, the conditional tense, uses of ser/estar/haber Por and para & other prepositions, Personal pronouns: reflexive, direct and indirect object pronouns Demonstratives and possessives Main Topics Introductions, personal information and studies, Talking about past holidays and giving biographical information The world of work: job descriptions, applying for a job, writing a CV and letter of application. Holiday plans and renting an apartment. Talking about the recent past, problems and routine. Describing how life used to be, Now and then: talking about what has changed in your life. Shopping, leisure activities and food. Recounting an event in the past, Following instructions, Expressing hopes, wishes, wants Advising and doubting, telling a story in the past with more detail.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||22||Language classes|
|Guided independent study||128||Preparation and self study|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|In-Class Test||25||1hr 30||1-5,8||written|
|Oral Test||25||7-8 minutes||1,3-6,8||written|
|Written Examination||50||1hr 30||1-6,8||written|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|In-Class Test||In-Class Test||1-5,8||Referral/deferral period|
|Oral Test||Oral Test||1,3-6,8||Referral/deferral period|
|Written Examination||Written Examination||1-6,8||Referral/deferral period|
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Martin, R. & Ellis, M, Pasos 2 Spanish Activity Book, Hodder Education, 3rd edition (29 April 2011)
AND Alonso Raya et al, Students Basic Grammar of Spanish, Difusion, August 2009
Recommended materials: Alsono Raya et al, Students Basic Grammar of Spanish, Difusion, August 2009; Dictionary: Collins/Robert Spanish Dictionary
Module has an active ELE page?
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search