Spanish Intermediate One (FLS2215)
|Staff||Mrs Ruth Homer - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||Completion of FLS1130 or equivalent|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 12 weeks; Term 2: 12 weeks;|
The module aims to:
- Consolidate the essential structures of the target language, developing both vocabulary and range of language structures thus equipping students with the linguistic tools to enable them to communicate effectively in everyday situations
- Further develop active and passive language skills and productive skills in speaking, reading and writing
- Deepen students' understanding and appreciation of the customs, culture and society of the regions/countries in which the languages are spoken and to develop student awareness of the general social and cultural background of the language
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate competence in the use of basic grammatical structures of the target language
- 2. Read and comprehend straightforward written texts on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, study, leisure etc in the target language
- 3. Communicate effectively on a limited range of general topics which are familiar or of personal interest, both orally and in writing, and produce short descriptive and narrative texts, formal and informal letters.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Understand the principles of learning a foreign language intensively and organise his/her learning with guidance from the tutor
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, such as a reference grammar and bilingual dictionary, to consolidate his/her learning.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Make a brief presentation on a topic which is familiar or of personal interest and hold a short conversation in the target language which may involve expressing opinions and making value judgements
- 7. Work productively with others as part of a team, within a set structure
- 8. Make progress through developing skills of self-study and application and develop an awareness of and sensitivity to a foreign culture.
The module provides a systematic approach to acquiring essential grammar structures in a communicative context and in accordance with the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. It covers the following grammar / topics: Main Grammar Verbs: revision of present tense, uses of past tenses: imperfect, preterite, perfect & pluperfect, impersonal verbs - gustar, encantar etc, soler + infinitive, imperative, future tense, introduction to the present subjunctive, the conditional tense, uses of ser/estar/haber Por and para & other prepositions, Personal pronouns: reflexive, direct and indirect object pronouns Demonstratives and possessives Main Topics Introductions, personal information and studies, Talking about past holidays and giving biographical information The world of work: job descriptions, applying for a job, writing a CV and letter of application. Holiday plans and renting an apartment. Talking about the recent past, problems and routine. Describing how life used to be, Now and then: talking about what has changed in your life. Shopping, leisure activities and food. Recounting an event in the past, Following instructions, Expressing hopes, wishes, wants Advising and doubting, telling a story in the past with more detail.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||22||Language classes|
|Guided independent study||128||Preparation and self study|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|In-Class Test||25||1hr 30||1-5,8||written|
|Oral Test||25||7-8 minutes||1,3-6,8||written|
|Written Examination||50||1hr 30||1-6,8||written|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|In-Class Test||In-Class Test||1-5,8||Referral/deferral period|
|Oral Test||Oral Test||1,3-6,8||Referral/deferral period|
|Written Examination||Written Examination||1-6,8||Referral/deferral period|
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Martin, R. & Ellis, M, Pasos 2 Spanish Activity Book, Hodder Education, 3rd edition (29 April 2011)
AND Alonso Raya et al, Students Basic Grammar of Spanish, Difusion, August 2009
Recommended materials: Alsono Raya et al, Students Basic Grammar of Spanish, Difusion, August 2009; Dictionary: Collins/Robert Spanish Dictionary
Module has an active ELE page?
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search