Italian Advanced One (FLI3415)
|Staff||Mrs Antonella Freschi - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||Completion of FLI 2330 or equivalent|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
The module is appropriate for students who have an A-level (Grade A-B) in the foreign language or equivalent. The module develops all four core language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, as well as advanced grammatical structures of the target language. This course is between B1+and B2 (as Exit level) - Independent User
- review and consolidate the advanced structures of the target language, developing both vocabulary and range of language structures thus equipping students with the linguistic tools to enable them to communicate effectively in everyday and academic situations
- further develop and embed active and passive language skills, including comprehension skills in listening and reading, with particular emphasis placed on the skills necessary for effective oral and written communication in the target language at an advanced level
- build on knowledge of the socio-cultural aspects of the regions/countries in which the languages are spoken and to continue to develop transferable skills necessary for studying and/or working abroad
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate competence in the use of advanced grammatical structures of the target language
- 2. Read and comprehend a wide range of demanding, longer written and aural texts on both concrete and abstract topics in the target language, including articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems in which the writers adopt particular attitudes and viewpoints.
- 3. Communicate fluently and effectively, both orally and in writing, and use language flexibly and effectively for social and professional purposes and produce clear, well- structured written flexibly and effectively for social and professional purposes and produce clear, well-structured written text on complex subjects, expressing points of view at some length.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Demonstrate autonomy in language learning, with reduced direction from the teacher.
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, including an advanced reference grammar and specialist dictionary, to consolidate his/her learning.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Work creatively and flexibly - react and adapt to situations as appropriate
- 7. Make progress through developing skills of self-study and application and develop an awareness of and sensitivity to a foreign culture.
The module provides a systematic approach to acquiring essential grammar structures in a communicative context and in accordance with the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. It covers the following grammar / topics:
Grammatical terms, use & omission of definite & indefinite articles, subjunctive (present, perfect, imperfect & pluperfect), conditional & conditional perfect tenses, future perfect tense, comparison, passive & impersonal forms, review of prepositions, using the gerund, verbs followed by infinitives, use of joined pronouns.
Introduction to the Italian State, Food and Drink, Italian Gastronomy, the culture of Food, Use of Technology and Social Media, The Press, Italian Television and Radio,Italian Cinema,Neorealism,
The arts, Leisure Activities and Sport, La vita in movimento, Ferrari, sports and drugs, Sports and Women, Costume e Società, L’Italia che cambia, il Made in Italy
You will be expected to spend time studying outside the class (between 3-5 hours per week) and we provide guidance, facilities and materials to help you develop your expertise as an independent language learner. For this module, you will be asked to consolidate your class work by learning vocabulary and structures, and by reading, watching or listening to material in Italian
You will also be expected to complete the exercise book/workbook on a self-study basis, prepare exercises and activities for the class, to write short assignments and generally acquire a repertoire of effective language learning strategies. You will receive regular feedback on your progress from class activities, homework assignments etc. You will also receive formal feedback on the In-Class Test, including suggestions for what and how to improve and identifying your own strategies for improvement.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||44||Language Classes|
|Guided Independent Study||106||Preparation and Self-study|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|3 formative tasks per year (grammar and vocabulary, writing, reading and listening comprehension)||Variable||1-7||Written and Oral|
|1 in-class task in week 12||1.5 hours||1-7||Written and Oral|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Oral Test||40||11-12 minutes||1, 3-4,6-7||Written|
|Written Exam||60||2 hours||1-7||Written|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Written Exam||Written Exam||1-7||Ref/Def Period|
|Oral Test||Oral Test||1, 3-4, 6-7||Ref/Def Period|
Written Exam 60%, Oral Test 40%
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Main course book:
De Biasio, M; Garofalo, P.; Mosaico Italia; Edizioni Edilingua (2008)
Latino A.; Muscolino M.; Una grammatical italiana per tutti 2 Edizioni Edilingua
Ragazzini G.; Dizionario Italiano-Inglese Inglese-Italiano Zanichelli (2006)
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search
Italian, Advanced, Advanced One