German for Business (FLG3630)
|Staff||Ms Astrid Hermes - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||Completion of FLG3515/3530 or equivalent|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
German for Business is designed for students who have spent a period of study / work in a country where the language is spoken (such as students on a ‘with European Study' programme) and/or have completed Advanced level courses (FLF3515/3530 or equivalent). Please note that this module is NOT appropriate for native speakers of the language.
This module is broadly equivalent to C1/C1+ (exit level) - Proficient User of the Common European Framework for languages, and aims to:
- review and consolidate advanced structures and vocabulary of the target language, extending these to cover specifically vocational and business-oriented topics.
- develop the particular skills required to understand and use written and spoken German as used in general business contexts.
- The economic terms and concepts developed will be those encountered, for example, in non-specialist but informed publications devoted to current business affairs.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate a consistent grammatical control of complex language and structures of the target language
- 2. Read, comprehend and summarise a wide range of demanding, longer written and aural texts in most registers on business-related topics in the target language, including articles and reports concerned with business issues in which the writers adopt particular attitudes and viewpoints
- 3. Communicate confidently, fluently and precisely in range of business-related situations, both orally and in writing, and demonstrate the ability to research a specialist business topic, extracting and summarising key information from a range of written and spoken sources, and produce a written portfolio of material to a high professional standard
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Demonstrate advanced levels of autonomy in language learning and ability to research a project with minimal direction from the teacher
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, including a specialist dictionary, to consolidate his/her learning
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Give an oral presentation confidently and articulately on a business-related topic, expanding on and responding to requests for further information from others, and hold a job interview situation in the target language
- 7. Work creatively and flexibly with others as part of a team, reacting to situations as appropriate
- 8. Make progress through developing skills of self-study and application and develop an awareness of and sensitivity to a foreign business culture.
The module provides a systematic approach to acquiring advanced structures in a communicative context and in accordance with the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. At this level, students are expected to demonstrate competence in the use of all advanced grammatical structures. However, there may be remedial revision / consolidation of certain grammar topics.
Main Topics Term 1: Introduction to the module, Experience in German-speaking countries and individual business interests, German industry sectors and features of the economy, the workplace and organisational structures, marketing & sales, presenting a business.
Term 2: Ecology and the economy, Corporate responsibility, Intercultural communication, typical business communication, meetings, job application and interview techniques.
You will be expected to spend time studying outside the class and we provide guidance, facilities and materials to help you develop your expertise as a proficient language learner.
For this module, you will be asked to consolidate your class work by learning advanced business vocabulary and structures, and by reading, watching or listening to material in German. You will receive regular feedback on your progress from class activities, homework assignments and formative assessment tasks.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||66||Seminars|
|Guided independent study||234||Consolidation of class work by learning business related vocabulary and structures and by reading, watching or listening to material from a wide range of sources in German. ; Prepare exercises andlearning activities for class, write assignments and further develop a repertoire of effective language learning strategies.|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|6 formative tasks per year (grammar and vocabulary, writing, reading and listening comprehension)||variable||all||Written|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|In-Class Test (listening and reduction)||25||1.5 hours||1-5,8||written|
|Oral Presentation||15||15-20 minutes||1,3-6,8||written|
|Dossier||35||Consists of different components, including short summaries and an essay (1500 words) in the target language||1-6, 8||written|
|Oral Test||25||12-13 minutes||1, 3-6, 8||written|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|In Class Test (listening and reduction)||Written Examination||1-6, 8||Referral/deferral period|
|Oral test, Oral Presentation||Oral test||all||Referral/deferral period|
|Dossier||Dossier||1-6, 8||Referral/deferral period|
Oral Test = 40%, Dossier = 35%, Written Exam = 25%
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search
german, business, German for Business, Advanced German, German Language