German Advanced One (FLG3430)
|Staff||Dr Birgit Hanke - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||Completion of FLG2315/2330 or equivalent|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
Module aimsThe module is appropriate for students who have an A-level (Grade A-B) in the foreign language or equivalent. The module develops all four core language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, as well as advanced grammatical structures of the target language. This course is between B2 - Independent User and C1 - Proficient User of the Common European Framework for languages, and aims to:
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate competence in the use of advanced grammatical structures of the target language
- 2. Read and comprehend a wide range of demanding, longer written and aural texts on both concrete and abstract topics in the target language, including articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems in which the writers adopt particular attitudes and viewpoints
- 3. Communicate fluently and effectively, orally or in writing, and use language flexibly and effectively for social and professional purposes and produce clear, well-structured written text on complex subjects, expressing points of view at some length.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Demonstrate autonomy in language learning, with reduced direction from the teacher
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, including an advanced reference grammar and specialist dictionary, to consolidate his/her learning
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Work creatively and flexibly , react and adapt to situations as appropriate
- 7. Make progress through developing skills of self-study and application and develop an awareness of and sensitivity to a foreign culture
The module provides a systematic approach to acquiring essential grammar structures in a communicative context and in accordance with the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. The syllabus is based on the coursebook „Aspekte (B2)“.
The material of the textbook continues to deepen and practice grammatical structures as well as broaden the vocabulary base with in-depth topics and authentic excerpts from German TV.
- the concept of ‚Heimat’
- communication (incl. non-verbal communication)
- work (job search. motivation, team spirit)
- science and research
- historical events
- feelings and emotions
- our future
Main grammar topics include:
Conjunctions with zu + Inf: um ...zu, ohne ... zu, anstatt ... zu; ;
Comparisons using als / als ob / als wenn
Participles as Attributes
The use of the Subjunctive
You will be expected to spend time studying outside the class and we provide guidance, facilities and materials to help you develop your expertise as an independent language learner. For this module, you will be asked to consolidate your class work by learning vocabulary and structures, and by reading, watching or listening to material in German. You will also be expected to complete the exercise book/workbook, prepare exercises and activities for the class, to write short assignments and generally acquire a repertoire of effective language learning strategies. You will receive regular feedback on your progress from class activities, homework assignments and coursework items. You will also receive feedback on the formative In-Class Task, including suggestions for what and how to improve and identifying your own strategies for improvement.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||66||Language classes|
|Guided independent study||234||Consolidation of class work by learning vocabulary and structures, and by reading, watching or listening to material in German|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|5 formative tasks per year (grammar and vocabulary, writing, reading and listening comprehension)||Variable||1-7||Written and oral|
|1 in-class formative task in week 12 (during the first two timetabled hours)||1 in-class formative task in week 12 (during the first two timetabled hours)||1-7||Written and oral|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|In Class Listening Task||20||45 Minutes||1-2, 5-7||Written and oral|
|Oral test||30||10-12 minutes||1, 3-7||Written and oral|
|Written Exam||50||2 hours||1-7||Written and oral|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Oral test||Oral test||1, 3-7||Referral/deferral period|
|Written Exam and In class listening test.||Written Exam||1-7||Referral/deferral period|
Oral Test = 30%, Written Examination = 70%
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Textbook: Lösche, Ralf-Peter et al. Aspekte B2: Mittelstufe Deutsch. Lehrbuch ohne DVD. Langenscheidt/Klett Verlag.
Workbook: Koithan, Ute et al. Aspekte B2: Mittelstufe Deutsch. Arbeitsbuch mit Übungstests auf CD-ROM. Langenscheidt/Klett Verlag.
Grammar: Elke F. Gschossmann-Hendershot & Lois Feuerle, Schaum's Outline of German Grammar, 5th edition, McGraw Hill, 2014.
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search
German, advanced, Advanced German, German Advanced 1, German Advanced One, German Language