German Intermediate Two (FLG2330)
|Staff||Dr Birgit Hanke - Lecturer|
|Pre-requisites||Completion of FLG2215/2230 or equivalent|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
The module is appropriate for students who have an AO or AS (grade A - B) in the foreign language, or an A level (grade C or under) or equivalent. This module is between B1 and B2 Independent User of the Common European Framework and aims to:
- Consolidate the essential structures of the target language, developing both vocabulary and range of language structures thus equipping students with the linguistic tools to enable them to communicate effectively in a variety of social situations
- Further develop active and passive language skills, including comprehension skills in listening, productive skills in speaking, reading and writing
- Deepen students' understanding and appreciation of the customs, culture and society of the regions/countries in which the languages are spoken and to develop student awareness of the general social and cultural background of the language
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate competence in the use of an extensive range of grammatical structures of the target language
- 2. Read and comprehend written and aural texts of a more technical nature on both concrete and abstract topics in the target language
- 3. Communicate confidently and spontaneously in a wide range of situations including more specialised topics, both orally and in writing, and produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects in the target language
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Understand the principles of learning a foreign language intensively and organise his/her learning with some guidance from the tutor
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, such as a reference grammar and bilingual dictionary, to consolidate his/her learning.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Make a clear, prepared presentation on a general topic and take an active part in discussions, accounting for and sustaining their views
- 7. Make progress through developing skills of self-study and application and develop an awareness of and sensitivity to a foreign culture.
The module provides a systematic approach to acquiring essential grammar structures in a communicative context and in accordance with the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. It covers the following grammar / topics:
Nouns – gender identification
Weak masculine nouns
Simple past tense/ present perfect tense of weak and strong verbs
Past perfect tense
Verb + preposition combinations
Modal auxiliary verbs: Present tense. Simple past tense. Compound tenses.
The passive voice: Present tense. Past tense. Compound tenses.
Subjunctive II: Present-time. Compound forms to indicate past time.
Infinitives preceded by “zu”; Infinitive clauses to express the goal or purpose of an action
Conditional and consecutive clauses
Prepositions/Adverbs referring to time/location
Comparison of adjectives
Attributive adjectives – declension
Adjectives derived from verbs
Set phrases (Nomen-Verb-Verbindungen)
Time and activities;
World of work;
Books and the media;
Traffic and mobility;
Eating and drinking.
Teaching methods are based on interactive language development tasks, such as pair / group work and role playing, and include the study of texts, oral development work and listening comprehension exercises.
You will be expected to spend time studying outside the class and we provide guidance, facilities and materials to help you develop your expertise as an independent language learner. You will receive regular feedback on your progress from class activities, homework assignments etc. You will also receive formal feedback on the In-Class Test, including suggestions for what and how to improve and identifying your own strategies for improvement.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||66||Language classes|
|Guided Independent Study||234||Consolidate class work by learning vocabulary and structures, and by reading, watching or listening to material in German. Prepare exercises and activities for class, write assignments and further develop a repertoire of effective language learning strategies. Learning activities are supported by various media, including audio, video / DVD, and, where appropriate, computer software.|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|6 formative tasks per year (grammar and vocabulary, writing, reading and listening comprehension)||Variable||1-5, 7||Written and oral|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|In class test||20||1.5 hours||1-5, 7||Written Feedback Sheet with opportunity for individual follow-up with tutor/s.|
|In-Class Listening Test||15||45 minutes||2, 7||Written Feedback Sheet with opportunity for individual follow-up with tutor/s.|
|Oral test||25||8-9 minutes||1, 3-7||Written Feedback Sheet|
|Written Exam||40||1.5 hours||1-5, 7||Written Feedback (upon request)|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|In class test, In class Listening Test, Written exam||Written exam||1-5, 7||Referral/deferral period|
|Oral test||Oral test||1, 3-7||Referral/deferral period|
Oral Test = 25%, Written Examination = 75%
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Main course book: Buscha, Anne & Szita, Szilvia: Begegnungen. Deutsch als Fremdsprache B1+: Integriertes Kurs- und Arbeitsbuch (2. verändert. Auflage), 2013
Jones/Lawlor, Practice in German Grammar, Nelson Thornes Ltd; 2Rev Ed edition, 2001
Recommended materials: Dictionary: Collins Pocket German Dictionary
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search
German, intermediate, two, German Intermediate, German Intermediate 2