French Beginners Fast Track (FLF2130)
|Staff||Dr Helene Street - Convenor|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
French Beginners Fast-Track provides a systematic approach to acquiring essential grammar structures in a communicative context. The module is taught as far as possible in French.
French Beginners Fast-Track aims to:
Provide students with a solid foundation of the basic grammatical structures of French and the linguistic tools to enable them to communicate effectively in everyday situations across the four key language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
Enable participants to give and understand information and to achieve a confident elementary level of communicative competence in everyday situations.
Provide an introduction to the customs, culture and society of the regions/countries in which French is spoken and to develop student awareness of the general social and cultural background of French.
French Beginners Fast-Track exit level is broadly equivalent to A2 Basic User level of the Common European Framework.
Students who successfully complete this module will progress directly to French Intermediate Fast Track 2, FLF2430.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate a sound grasp of the basic grammatical structures of French..
- 2. Read and comprehend straightforward written and aural texts on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, study, leisure etc in French.
- 3. Communicate effectively on a broad range of general topics which are familiar or of personal interest, both orally and in writing, and produce short descriptive and narrative texts, formal and informal letters.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Understand the principles of learning a foreign language intensively and organise your learning with guidance from the tutor.
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, such as a reference grammar and bilingual dictionary, to consolidate your learning.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Give a presentation on a topic pertinent to everyday occurrences in your field and hold a conversation in French which may involve expressing opinions and making value judgments
- 7. Make progress through developing skills of self-study and application and develop an awareness of and sensitivity to a foreign culture.
Main grammar:Revision of:
- basic uses of the definite and indefinite articles, à and de, question forms, negative, singular and plural nouns, personal pronouns, direct and indirect object pronouns, adjectives, prepositions of location, adverbs.
- Verbs: revision of the infinitive, the imperative, the present, the perfect and the future, reflexive verbs.
- Relative clauses and the pronouns qui, que.
- Position of pronouns.
- Demonstrative adjectives and pronouns.
- Time phrases depuis, pendant, il y a.
- Comparisons using plus/moins.
- Pronouns y and en.
- Verbs: Conditional, imperfect tense, subjunctive mood, use of perfect and imperfect, the passive and use of on, en+ present participle, faire faire quelque chose, modal verbs savoir/pouvoir/vouloir/devoir, verbs +infinitive, use of il faut
Main Topics (non-exhaustive):
Self and family: introducing oneself, stating name, age, nationality and talking about the family and describing members of the family. Home and the environment: describing where you live Giving and understanding directions. Time, numbers, colours, weather. Shopping Talking about leisure activities and free time, making and understanding arrangements, describing plans. Stating preferences and interests, expressing opinions, expressing agreement and disagreement. Expressing likes and dislikes. Talking about hypothetical situations. Expressing emotions.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching activities||88||Language classes|
|Guided independent study||212||Consolidate class work by learning vocabulary and structures, and by reading, watching or listening to material in French. Prepare exercises and activities for class, write short assignments and generally begin to acquire a repertoire of effective language learning strategies. Learning activities are supported by various media, including audio, video / DVD, and, where appropriate, computer software.|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|5 formative tasks per year (grammar and vocabulary, writing, reading and listening comprehension)||Variable||1-5, 7||Written and oral|
|1 in-class formative task in week 12 (during the first two timetabled hours)||1.5 hours||1-5, 7||Written and oral|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|In-Class Listening Test||20||45 Minutes||2, 7||Written Feedback & oral feedback with opportunity for individual follow-up with tutor/s.|
|Oral Test||30||Approx. 10 minutes.||1, 3-7||Written Feedback Sheet (upon request)|
|Written Examination (organised centrally)||50||2 Hours||1-5, 7||Written Feedback (upon request)|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|In-Class Listening Test, Written Examination||Written Exam||1-5, 7||Refer/defer period|
|Oral Test||Oral test||1, 3-7||Refer/defer period|
Oral Test = 30%, Written Examination = 70%
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Le Nouveau Rond Point 1 (A1-A2): Livre de l'élève + CD-audio + Activités 2.0: Méthode de français basé sur l’apprentissage par les tâches.
Publisher: Editions Maison des Langues ; 1er édition (2011)
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
Indicative learning resources - Other resources
Grammaire progressive du français - Niveau Débutant. Avec 400 exercices. Audio-CD 2ème édition by Maîa Grégoire
Publisher: Cle International (Oct. 2010)
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search
French Beginners Fast Track