British Sign Language Intermediate (FLB2230)
|Staff||Miss Emily Wakley - Convenor|
|Pre-requisites||FLB1115A and FLB1115B|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks; Term 2: 11 weeks;|
This module is broadly equivalent to C Proficient User level of the Common European Framework and aims to:
- Reinforce and develop students’ understanding of the grammatical structures at a competent level in British Sign Language, enabling students to communicate effectively through Productive Skills, Receptive Skills, and Conversational Skills at an intermediate level on a variety of general topics.
- Enable students to give and understand a broader spectrum of information and to achieve a confident intermediate level of communicative competence in everyday situations.
- Develop students’ understanding and awareness of deafness and Deaf Culture
- Develop students’ understanding and awareness of the differences in Spoken and Signed Languages.
- Develop students’ understanding and awareness of the differences between Formal and Informal signing styles
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate a sound grasp of the grammatical structures of BSL.
- 2. Comprehend the language through receptive skills and to be able to back-channel in conversations to demonstrate understanding of information related to everyday situations.
- 3. Communicate effectively on a range of general topics through signed presentations and conversations.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Understand the principles of learning a language with uses of semantics and organise learning with guidance from the tutor.
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, including English texts on BSL, BSL dictionaries and video resources, to consolidate learning.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Communicate at an improving level in BSL
- 7. Show evidence of self-study and research skills used to develop language skills
- 8. Demonstrate a good understanding of Deaf Awareness in communication
The course will cover the following grammar and topics across the communication skills of reception, production and conversation:
Non-Manual Features (NMF)
Movement & Direction
Placements and Referents
Timelines (Past, Present & Future)
Verbs: Plain, Agreement & Spatial
Describing verbs using NMF
Appropriate Mouth pattern
Travel and Holidays
Shopping and Consumer Issues
Eating and Drinking Out
Deaf History and Culture
Jobs and Work
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and teaching activities||66||Language Classes|
|Guided independent study||254||Consolidate learning in class by: - preparing exercises and activities for class, including presentations in BSL and short written assignments in English, watching signed clips in BSL to develop receptive skills and develop vocabulary. Learning activities are supported by various media including written English texts, online videos and DVDs.|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Written assignment based on own research||1000 words||4-5, 7-8||Written feedback|
|Presentation||3-5 minute presentation||1,3,4,5,6,7,8||Verbal feedback|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|In Class Test (Linguistics)||20||1 hour written test||1, 4-5, 7-8||Written feedback|
|In Class Test (Productive Skills)||30||5-6 minute presentation||1,2,4,5,6,7,8||Written feedback|
|In Class Test (Conversational Skills)||50||8-10 minute conversation||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8||Written feedback|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|In Class Test (Linguistics)||In Class Test (Linguistics)||1,4,5,7,8||Referral/deferral period|
|In Class Test (Productive Skills)||In Class Test (Productive Skills)||1,2,4,5,6,7,8||Referral/deferral period|
|In Class Test (Conversational Skills)||In Class Test (Conversational Skills)||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8||Referral/deferral period|
Linguistics Test = 20%
Productive Skills Test = 30%
Conversational Skills Test = 50%
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Rachel Sutton-Spence and Bencie Woll, The Linguistics of British Sign Language: An Introduction, 1998
Cath Smith, Let’s Sign Dictionary, 2nd Edition 2009
Cath Smith, Signs Make Sense: A Guide to British Sign Language, 1990
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Web based and electronic resources
A range of online and DVD video resources
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search
BSL, British Sign Language, Intermediate