British Sign Language for Beginners (Part 1) (FLB1115A)
|Staff||Miss Emily Wakley - Convenor|
|Duration of Module||Term 1: 11 weeks;|
This module is broadly equivalent to A1 Basic User level of the Common European Framework and aims to:
- Provide students with a solid foundation of the basic grammatical structures of British Sign Language, enabling students to communicate effectively through Productive Skills, Receptive Skills, and Conversational Skills at an elementary level on a variety of basic day-to-day topics.
- Enable students to give and understand basic information and to work towards a confident elementary level of communicative competence in everyday situations.
- Provide an introduction to Deaf Awareness.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Demonstrate an elementary understanding of the basic grammatical structures of BSL.
- 2. Comprehend the language through receptive skills and be able to back-channel in conversations to demonstrate understanding of information related to a basic range of everyday situations.
- 3. Communicate competently on a number of day-to-day topics through signed presentations and conversations.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Understand the principles of learning a new language and organize learning with guidance from the tutor.
- 5. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, including English texts on BSL, BSL dictionaries and video resources, to consolidate learning.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 6. Communicate at a basic level in BSL
- 7. Show evidence of self study and research skills used to develop language skills
- 8. Demonstrate a basic level of Deaf Awareness in communication
The course will cover the following grammar and topics across the communication skills of reception, production and conversation:
Non-Manual Features (NMF)
Movement & Direction
Timelines (Past, Present & Future)
Introduction to BSL as a visual language
Introduction to Deaf Awareness
Greetings and Leave Takings
Family and Describing People
Describing the Home
Travel and Transport
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning Activities||33||Language Classes|
|Guided Independent Study||117||Consolidate learning in class by preparing exercises and activities for class, including presentations in BSL and short written assignments in English. Watching signed clips in BSL to develop receptive skills and develop vocabulary. Learning activities are supported by various media including written English texts, online videos and DVDs.|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Written assignment||500 words||1,5,7,8||Written|
|In-class Presentation||2 minutes||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8||Verbal|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|In Class Test (Productive Skills)||50||4-5 minutes||1,3,4,5,6,7,8||Written feedback|
|In Class Test (Conversational Skills)||50||6-8 minutes||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8||Written feedback|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|In Class Test (Productive Skills)||In Class Test (Productive Skills)||1,3,4,5,6,7,8||Referral/deferral period|
|In Class Test (Conversational Skills)||In Class Test (Conversational Skills)||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8||Referral/deferral period|
Productive Skills Test = 50%
Conversational Skills Test = 50%
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Main English Text:
Rachel Sutton-Spence and Bencie Woll, The Linguistics of British Sign Language: An Introduction, 1998
Cath Smith, Let’s Sign Dictionary, 2nd Edition 2009
Cath Smith, Signs Make Sense: A Guide to British Sign Language, 1990
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Other resources
A range of online and DVD video resources
Available as distance learning?
Last revision date
Key words search
BSL, British Sign Language, Beginner