Top 10 for English in The Times Good University Guide 2013
- Ranked in the UK’s top 10 for English in The Times Good University, Complete University, and The Sunday Times 2013 guides
- In top 100 worldwide rankings for subject (QS World University Rankings 2012-3)
- 1st in the UK for world leading research in English1
- Top 10 for graduate level employment and postgraduate study rates2
- 10th for Overall Satisfaction in the National Student Survey (2012)3
- Opportunities to study in the USA or Canada
- Participate in events involving internationally acclaimed authors, actors and directors
- BA English and Joint Honours options available in Cornwall
- Opportunities to study Combined Honours in subjects including English, Film or Visual Culture
We are one of the leading departments of English in the UK, and we are proud of our undergraduate programmes and modules. We have strengths in teaching and research in most areas from the medieval period to the present day, including particular specialisations in film and creative writing. Because we are a large (and growing) - staff group we can offer a curriculum that provides a great deal of choice and variety.
We offer undergraduate programmes at both our Streatham Campus in Exeter and our Cornwall Campus near Falmouth. All of our programmes move from an initial foundation year, towards the greater choice and higher degree of specialisation in the latter years. This structure ensures that all students have a common experience, and gain the same expertise, at the outset, before focusing on areas of individual interest. In addition, our requirements, for most of our programmes, ensuring a balance at Stage 2 between modules concerned with literature before 1800 and literature and culture after 1800 ensures a proper historical balance, in agreement with the English National Benchmark Statement .
Our programmes and modules are regularly reviewed and refreshed in response to student feedback. We value students' responses to module questionnaires, and we publish all of our end-of-module report forms, so that students can see how we are responding to their comments.
Download the English brochure (pdf) for Undergraduate study.
1RAE 2008 based on the percentage of research categorised as 4*
2based on proportion of UK domiciled, full-time, first degree graduates in English with a known career or study destination (HESA 2009/10)
3percentage of English students who agreed they were satisfied