- Leverhulme Trust “Cultures of the Suburbs International Research Network” (PI) (£68,836 for 3 years from Sept 2011)
- Eccles Centre Visiting Fellow in North American Studies (2010-11)
- Arts and Humanities Research Council Research Leave Scheme (£23,543) for The Poetics of the American Suburbs (July 2009 for autumn term 2010)
- 2012 Leverhulme International Network grant of £88,089 pounds over two years for his project "Chinese Cinemas in the 21st Century: Production, Consumption, Imagination."
Dan North, Philip Wickham, Richard Evershon (Engineering) and John Plunkett
- have been awarded a grant of £1540 from Bridging the Gaps for a project to make a short 3-D film about the the history of 3-D pictures using the Bill Douglas Centre archive.
- March 2010 H. D. Fellowship in English or American Literature ($4,000 plus travel stipend), Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University Library ( Edith Wharton, Fashion, and Social Regulation).
- with John Plunkett of £225,000 bid to ‘Visual Arts and Media: practice, history, theory’ AHRC panel for project titled: ‘Moving and Projected Image Entertainment in the South-West: 1820-1914’. The project will take place across three years, with a project team including Dr John Plunkett, myself, a postdoctoral researcher, and a fully funded PhD student.
Tim Kendall & Jo Gill
- 2007- present: Great Western Research grant (£40,000) for funded PhD on Ivor Gurne.
- British Association for American Studies Honorary Fellowship 2010-2011 (in recognition of distinguished contributions to American Studies.