History of Roborough Studios

The video above shows the unveiling of the foundation stone of the University Library, known as the Roborough Library, in 1937. The library opened in 1940, and evolved into the reading room of a new library building (now the Research Commons) in the 1960s. 

In the mid-1980s, the new Library was built, and the need for the Roborough Reading Room disappeared.

The Drama Department moved in to the building in 1985, after a lighting system was installed, and for 20 years, enjoyed the single huge studio space, with curtains dividing it up.

In 2005, the Roborough Studios were fully refitted, with new technical facilities and a more useful division between the practical spaces. There are now three separate studios, with folding soundproof partition walls between them, enabling more groups to make better use of the space.

Roborough Studios History