Classics and Ancient History is proud to have been awarded a Bronze Award on the Gender Equality Charter Mark (GEM) trial run conducted by the Equality Challenge Unit. Read more about the GEM award.
The Department of Classics and Ancient History at Exeter is one of the largest and most successful in the UK, with an excellent reputation in both teaching and research. We attract high quality students from the UK and around the world who enjoy a lively and productive learning environment.
- Top 5 in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and The Complete University Guide 2021
- Undergraduate degrees in Ancient History, Classical Studies or Classics and a modular Masters degree
- A wide chronological, geographical and methodological variety in academic expertise
- Innovative approaches to teaching the ancient world
High quality research
- We are 4th in the UK for world-leading Classics research1
- research is integral to all our activity. All members of staff are research active and strive to research and publish at the highest level
- Interdisciplinary perspective, with close links to related fields including history, archaeology, philosophy, visual arts, and linguistics
- Leading centre of expertise in Hellenistic culture, including a £1.25 million Leverhulme Trust-funded Centre for Hellenistic and Greco-Roman Culture
- Major international conferences held annually
1 Research Excellence Framework 2021
We are a vibrant, friendly and supportive Department with enthusiastic and committed academic staff and students.
We offer world-class learning opportunities inspired by our academics’ internationally acclaimed research. This is reflected in our excellent results year on year in the National Student Survey and the government’s research evaluations (REF).
We are ranked in the top 5 amongst UK Classics departments in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and The Complete University Guide 2021, and in the top 5 for the employability of our graduates.
Professor Barbara Borg, Former Head of Classics and Ancient History