Professor Barbara Borg, Head of Classics and Ancient History
The Department of Classics and Ancient History at Exeter is one of the largest and most successful in the UK, with an excellent reputation in both teaching and research. We attract high quality students from the UK and around the world who enjoy a lively and productive learning environment.
- Ranked 4th for Classics in The Times Good University Guide 2013; and in the top 10 in The Complete University Guide 2013
- Undergraduate degrees in Ancient History, Classical Studies or Classics and a modular Masters degree with five specialist pathways
- A wide chronological, geographical and methodological variety in academic expertise
- Innovative approaches to teaching the ancient world
High quality research
- 3rd in the UK for world leading research1
- Our research is integral to all our activity. All members of staff are research active and strive to research and publish at the highest level
- Interdisciplinary perspective, with close links to related fields including history, archaeology, philosophy, visual arts, and linguistics
- Leading centre of expertise in Hellenistic culture, including a £1.25 million Leverhulme Trust-funded Centre for Hellenistic and Greco-Roman Culture
- Major international conferences held annually.
1 RAE 2008 based on the percentage of research categorised as 4*